Monday, August 22, 2011

There is a ME in MENTOR














I recently had a wonderful visit with one of my mentors.

Our relationship has spanned about 20 years.

When I was young and new in my industry I had the honor of working with this man on many exciting and important projects and adventures.

Because of him I met great and distinguished people.

I built relationships that I never could have without his guidance.

At this time,  he was completely on top of his game, he was absolutely calling the shots, he was the sole director of his lifes film and all those lucky enough to be privy to his brilliance had to pay a price.

I grew up somehow understanding that you had to pay your dues in life and especially in work.
That you had to understand and accept your place as you were climbing up your ladder.

I really knew very little about the circle this man travelled in, it was all new to me and yet somehow I knew that I was being positioned to learn, to grow and I was a willing participant, and an eager one at that.

I'll tell you a funny story about one of my visits to his home in NY when I was very young.

I was there while he was developing a product line, one that eventually grew into one of the largest and most popular the industry would ever see.

A line that now years after it's sale has allowed my mentor, his family, and many involved to live a blessed and wealthy life.
If you ask him what he does now, he smiles and says "I'm in arts and antiquities."
He has a collection that is beyond belief.

Anyway back to my story..
We were in his home when he got a call from his Barney's (the department store) salesman.

Apparently they had received some clothing that suited my mentor and so we promptly took a drive into the city.

He spent about an hour trying on some great pieces and although it appeared that he liked a lot of what he had tried on, we left without a bag in hand.

As much as I wanted to ask him why he didn't buy anything, my gut told me to be quiet.
And even back then, I listened to my gut.

The next morning when I woke, I showered and headed down for breakfast.

There, in the houses entry way. were about 8 boxes from Barneys, all of his acquisitions, tailored to his exact size, pressed and ready for business..

"hmmmmmmm" I thought to myself, "yes, this man has much to teach me."

Now I tell you all this because I have noticed a shift amongst the youth coming up and out professionally...

There is a sense of, dare I say, entitlement?

A, you have nothing to teach me, attitude.

A lack of willingness to put in the time, to pay those dues, to learn those lessons.

Nothing in life comes without a price and everything worth having is worth fighting for, (non violently of course).

Now let me just say, I have never had anything delivered from Barneys but I am successful, and educated and I still learn as much as I teach.

And it is just because of that work ethic that today I am able to sit with my mentor and share history and stories and memories, ah such beautiful memories.

That relationship was difficult to cultivate, and even more difficult to maintain but to this day, it is one that I consider sacred and very much worth the effort.

What relationships are you presently cultivating?
Where do you see it 20 years from now?
What are you gaining?
What are you giving?
Where will it take you?

Hmmmmmmmm....


Namaste


1 comment:

  1. Delicious! It is so important to walk slowly through life, in absolute gratitude for all that we have (even nothing is a gift, if you choose to perceive it as such), and love for all our teachers...

    We have everything to learn; and everything to give...

    ReplyDelete